Welcome to High Commission's new website.

Education in Australia

Australia is currently the third most popular destination for international students in the English-speaking world, behind the United States and the UK. Many international students choose to study in Australia because of the cultural diversity, friendly natives, and quality of education.

The Australian system offers the international student many options to pursue, from ELICOS( English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) programs to graduate degree programs. Australia also has very strong vocational and technical programs through the Technical and Further Education (TAFE) system.

The Education Services for Overseas Students ESOS Act 2000 and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007 (National Code) provides nationally consistent standards for providers of education and training for international students.

Tertiary education:

Australian higher education tier consisting with 43 universities with hundreds of different courses which are autonomous and self-accrediting (www.australian-universities.com). There are three main types of higher education which lead to Bachelor, Master and Doctoral Degrees. In Australia it is quite common for students to enroll in a double or combined Bachelor Degree program which leads to the award of two Bachelor Degrees. This is most common in the fields of arts, commerce, law and science.

Among the universities, the Group of Eight (Go8) is a coalition of leading eight universities, (www.go8.edu.au) intensive in research and comprehensive in general and professional education.

Besides that the Australian Technology Network ( www.atn.edu.au) brings together five universities in Australia, committed to forging partnerships with industry and government to deliver practical results through focused research.

Technical Education:

Australia’s Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector is based on a partnership between governments and industry. Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses provide students with the practical and technical skills needed in the workplace. They include certificates l to IV, diplomas and advanced diplomas, and are offered by government institutions, called Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions,, private colleges and organisations, and universities that teach both VET and higher education courses. Each state has a Vocational Education and Training (VET) or Technical and Further Education (TAFE) system. VET is transferable between all states. Study done in one state gains the same status in another state. VET and TAFE institute has a linked with different universities for further education. For example, after completing diploma students can enrol in university for higher degree. Here they can get wavier some course.

Why students choose VET:

  • It’s typically more hands-on than higher education: 
  • It usually has easier entry requirements: 
  • It can offer a pathway into the higher education sector:
  • It allows to sample an area of study before enrolling in a degree:
  • It helps to get used to the Australian education system: 

For more about technical education (tda.edu.au)

Guidelines for Bangladeshi students wishing to study in Australia:

Australia has become one of the popular destinations for Bangladeshi students to pursue higher study.

Latest number of Bangladeshi students enrollment and commencement in Australian education system:


Some of Data YTD Enrolments

Some of Data YTD(Year to date) commencements










Higher Education













































Grand Total










Data sourcewww.internationaleducation.gov.au

If a student wishes to come to Australia for future then must be prepared with all these things:

  1. Find a suitable education provider and course which is intended to study. Carefully read the website of the institution, which should provide all the information needed to make an informed decision, such as a description of the course offered, the environment, the teaching methods, facilities, minimum English language proficiency, etc
  2. Check the actual costs involved in studying, as also of the relevant rules and regulations governing work, housing and other aspects of living.
  3. Check the institution and the course that is planned to take, is properly registered with the Australian government, which can be verified at http://cricos.education.gov.au/www.studyinaustralia.gov.au.
  4. Ask any relevant information to the education provider
  5. Cheek visa and conditions

Choosing an education agent:

  1. Once institution and course are selected, please enrol into the course through its the website. If a student struggles to do enrolment, support from the authorised agents can be sought.  Please check with the institution for a list of its authorised education agents.
  2. Check if the agent has completed the Education Agents Training Course:www.pieronline.org. Qualified agents will have a good knowledge of the Australian education system, visa requirements and life in Australia.
  3. Check with friends or others known to have been studying or have studied in Australia.

Dealing with education agent:

  1. Read carefully all the procedure before signing an agreement with the agent
  2. If you are not happy with any of the terms of the agreement, do not sign the written agreement or pay the agent any money
  3. Carefully read about course fee, length of studies, refund policy if you are not with this agent in future,
  4. Make sure that you understand all your rights, including the refund arrangements.
  5. Do obtain a copy of the written agreement and any other papers you sign.

Student Visa:

You can find more information about student visa here

Working in Australia while studying

International students are legally entitled to work during their education. Students are legally permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours a week while the course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of the course of study or training). However, there is no guarantee that a student will be able to get a suitable job. Further, working more than the prescribed hours may result in student’s visa being cancelled.

As of 1 July 2021, the national minimum wage is $20.33 per hour, this changes annually. But some employers are known to pay much less, especially to students and sometimes as little as A$ 8.00 to A$ 10.00 an hour. For any work-related complaint against the employer, students may  approach Fair Work Ombudsman with relevant details. For more information regarding work place rights, visit www.fairwork.gov.au.


There is  shortage of accoumaodation for international students espicially in large city like Sydney and Melbourne. Accomodation in city is also expensive. A student may get shared guest house far from the campus or work place in cheap but it may also in crime zone. So, before arriving a student must find a suitable accomodation for initial stay.

Health Insurance:

As an international student, it is a condition of the student visa to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for entire duration of study in Australia. For details please visit www.oshcworldcare.com.au the health insurance should cover the entire period of the student’s education.

Please note there is perhaps a general perception by students looking to study abroad that life overseas in developed countries must be better than life in Bangladesh. But life in overseas is itself a challenge. Loneliness, separation from family, distance from friends and own culture is a big missing. Trying to be accompanied with unknown people, society, and workplace is a great challenge. Many international students face serious problem in healthcare. For example, an overburdened health and social support system does make a person who goes into the Emergency area of a public hospital, wait for hours before he/she gets treated and so on, unless there is an immediate life-threatening situation.

All these factors can combine at times to make life difficult for students. There have been several instances of students suffering from depression, as also instances of students taking their own lives.

Some other advice:

  1. Don’t believe if your education provider says, you can earn lots of money by doing part time job and able to send money to Bangladesh. Its not true. You are legally entitled for 20 hours working, but many employers pay less to international students.
  2. You need minimum 16,000A$ in annually for living in Australia. Remember that no matter what the agent or anyone else tells you, it is very difficult to earn enough through part-time work to meet all your expenses including tuition fees. So you must have sufficient funds for your education.
  3. Always follow the visa policy changes. For all types of visa update please follow www.immi.gov.au